Saturday, August 9, 2014

What a Prawn has to say: AMAZON vs HACHETTE

Just today, amazon sent me a letter of request. It's a little bit long and I know you might already know about it, but if you don't here's the jist of what they're asking me to send to Hachette CEO, Michael Pietsch:


- We have noted your illegal collusion. Please stop working so hard to overcharge for ebooks. They can and should be less expensive.
- Lowering e-book prices will help -- not hurt -- the reading culture, just like paperbacks did.
- Stop using your authors as leverage and accept one of Amazon's offers to take them out of the middle.
- Especially if you're an author yourself: Remind them that authors are not united on this issue. 
This is about the "lower the ebook prices" by Amazon towards Hachette. And I'm still having second thoughts about this "sending the email" thing. Here's what I posted in Writer's Cafe.


I don't know what to think about this. There are various parts of my brain and each one of them are shouting something (I think they're my conscience). 
1st part: Let writers write. I'm a fracking writer, not a business man. SHEESH! 
2nd part: Yes you're a writer but you never heard of Hachette because its name hasn't reached your country until this corporation wars. You've only heard of Amazon. 
3rd part: Let Hachette do their thing, you know the sayings: 'adapt or die' & 'survival of the fittest'  
4th part: Most of your income comes from Amazon. And you never heard of Hachette, right? (until this... this dispute) Stand for amazon, have some balls and do what they requested you to do! 
5th part: Let the readers decide, like what 3rd's said: survival of the fittest. 
6th part: But do readers care about this? I mean... do they? If I'm a reader I don't care if they shoot themselves on the foot. 
7th part: Remember Henry Ford who proved his cars are better against the company who had patented automobiles. Stand for something, I don't care what something, just stand.  
I think I'm on amazon on this... 
History does repeats itself, maybe in another form and in another way, but it does repeat itself. Remember the Dark ages and the printing press.
Why have I mentioned Mr. Ford? I've just recently watched History Channel that's why. He stood for something that would benefit all. I'm not completely with Amazon all the time but I'm with them in this. Amazon is a corporation, a business, and they don't care about me a single prawn. But they are made of prawns, they care about that.

Many authors, I know, won't care. But at least I should.  

  
Maybe I'll send Mr. Pietsch a quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment