Monday, June 10, 2013

Nefariousness of Villainy (and other Antagonisms)

What makes a good villain? I've been pondering with this for a while because I want to create someone that can make a reader squirm when the readers hears that villain. And in the adventures of my pondering on my seat, it took me in a very very dark place. In order to create a multi-dimension villain I had to think like one, put my thoughts in murder anger and every negative thought a bad guy or gal could think of. There are some tips in creating a compelling villain, and there’s some good tips in other sites but I want to contribute my own if you don’t mind.

So here it is, get ready, be very very very ready…
  1. Dark is overrated – that sentence alone explains everything, but let me elaborate. Being dark is quite good, and really most villain we know is dark. But can we just turn our backs from it for a minute and create a character that is not actually necessary dark? Like the ones who what they’re thinking is safely moral but is really not.
  2. Intelligence is gold – I love Moriarty (although I haven’t read the books, I only watched Game of shadows thought I know Moriarty in the books would more splendid [I hope]) because he could level with the protagonist in the most entertaining of ways. I want to read about a villain that uses pure wits, that can hypnotize anyone through only words, that can mess with your mind.
  3. Root, root, and root – there are some stories that the villain do what he do because of what happened to him or her. They’re just a person at some point, but there’s an event that triggered their monstrosity. Look at the Godfather, that’s one great example. I want a villain that I can empathize with.
  4. No remorse – He’ll smile at you, make friends with you and then he’ll tie you up and watch you die slowly. He will tell you bad jokes while he cut each of your toes, starve you for days and then eventually cook those toes and give it to you. Then your nose… ears… and every disposable part of your body to a crunching deep fried recipe. My God that’s vivid, but it’s effective.
  5. In governance of – the authority, the one thing everyone is under with. It has been used in countless books/movies I love: His Dark Materials, Catching fire, 1984, Aeon Flux, Legend. Actually, there are lots of stories I like where the government is attached with the villain, or the villain itself. The trick I suppose is to make the reader angry at the government in that book in such level that their heartbeats would go off the charts. Catching fire did this very well, I recommend you to read it (PS: Mockingjay is a disappointment.)
  6. The Iconic signature – I like James Bond villains, yeah I know they’re somehow cartoony but they have this iconic feel, each and every one of them; like the Chinese guy with the slicing bowler hat, or that giant Caucasian with steel teeth, of the bald dude with the (Persian?) cat. You enjoy watching them with all of their funny accents and stylistic weapons—you just have to love them!


I think that’s all for today, my mind is fried like the toes. I would be adding if I ever think of another; I’ll have to watch some shows again whereas the villain is as plain as cardboard. And also I have to think as a villain… BWAHA—(no that won’t work… sigh*)


(Remember: 6 days before my 5 days #bookgiveaway [The Last Disceptarix]! Make sure you get your copy by then!)

No comments:

Post a Comment