Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Art of Being Underestimated

You know what I like best: underestimation.

I remembered this demon-wildcat in our great Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series. See, the cat is a demon and he chosen that form to be underestimated. And it makes a lot of sense (at least for me); being boastful is far too overrated. I find it irritating whenever there’s arrogance looming around, those people who directly and genuinely feels that they’re better than everyone else. I know you know they’re easily discernible: in the way they stand, they speak loudly and they have this chin that is up, higher than our Everest.

I don’t hate them, I just hate the snobbish-arrogant type. Yes, I separated them into types, the other is the friendly-arrogant ones. I love them, even they expel this massive overconfidence, at least they approach you and have a little chitchat. But the snobbish ones? I just stay away from that crows (I mean crowds), but if I ever I have no choice but to mingle with them such as in gatherings and work, I just keep silent and listen to every word they would tell me and I will try my best to smile and nod.

Humility is gold, the satisfaction is there once the snobbish-arrogant ones found out for themselves what you have achieved.  It’s a matter of psychology really, we tend to accept more of those people who prove themselves not by their words but actual actions. Being a smart ass is also being a jerk, and also dangerous because one becomes transparent to every peer, known or newfound. One’s likings and hates would be easily detected.

I’m a writer, and a writer tend to observe to one’s surroundings, and also, psychology for me is fun because I can see how to approach this kind of person ( I took psychology classes in college so since then I want to be a psychologist, for now I’m fine watching Hannibal). The patterns of the humanistic state in palpable in the pressure of the steps while walking, posture, the hands, eye contact of course, fashion, that subtle twitches on the face, the way of speaking and all the observable in between. And in all of these observable gestures, the snobbish-arrogant is like a dot on a white paper. Like I said, they are loud and they stood proudly for no matter. My friend, there is fine difference between a forced arrogant stand to the respected stand a person with a good breeding usually have. And I know you can tell the difference yourself. We should trek carefully if we couldn’t be away from them, and most of all be a humble underestimated person who do more walking than talking.

It goes with the saying: "Kick the empty can and you’ll hear a noise, kick a full can and you will hear nothing."



(8 days before my 5 days #bookgiveaway [The Last Disceptarix]! Make sure you get your copy by then!)       

No comments:

Post a Comment